Articles & News and More

Articles & News and More
Comment on articles and like comments you agree with to help stand for marriage.

Why Aren't More Mormons Standing Up for Marriage?

Wendy Asay
A number of years ago I observed an elementary school class where the teacher used movement to help the children understand the power of peer pressure. The children were each given a piece of paper with a number on it. They were told to squat down and when the teacher beat her drum the number of times listed on the paper, the children were to pop up and make tall shapes with their bodies. All the children thought they had the same number, but in reality only a few of the children had the number that the teacher beat on her drum. When those few popped up they looked around confused and embarrassed and quickly squatted down again. The children had popped up at the right time, but none had the confidence or courage to stand there alone.
I was amused at the time, but now I find myself in a similar situation. Just like those school children, I have been afraid to stand up publicly for something I know is right. The clear principles outlined in “The Family—A Proclamation to the World” should give me enough motivation to actively support the cause of marriage between one man and one woman. So, why have I been afraid to speak out? The reasons are complex, but I'm sure that many people share them.
Click here to read the entire article